Love books, people, and ideas? Consider this opportunity to help a wide range of authors publish books in a variety of genres — fiction (thriller, sci fi, romance, etc.), expert/business consultant books, memoirs, kids books, and a wide range of interesting nonfiction topics. Talk to diverse and interesting people every day. Deliver truly consultative advice and information to help authors make sense of a complex industry. Represent a talented team of editors, designers, illustrators and marketers. Join a dynamic, creative team at a small business where your contributions are highly valued and you have a significant impact.
The Publishing Consultant plays a vital role as the first point of contact with the company, helping authors understand the publishing industry, the publishing process, how self-publishing differs from the conventional model, how distribution and royalties work, and how to plan and budget to self-publish. The publishing consultant puts together proposals or estimates, follows up and secures new clients, and welcomes them to the Tellwell team.
- Educate authors about a range of publishing options including editing, design, distribution and marketing
- Educate authors about distribution and royalties
- Write proposals and estimates for each author
- Effectively follow-up with authors
- Assess whether each author is a good potential fit for working with Tellwell
- Participate in round-table discussions at Tellwell about company strategy and new or improved services and improved internal processes
- Research best practices and develop internal resources, tools and templates
- Stay on top of industry trends
- Contribute to forecasting and achieving monthly goals
- Consultative sales experience
- Strong work ethic
- Positive attitude and a team player
- Excellent written and oral communications skills
- Independence, self-motivation, professionalism and responsibility
- Knowledge or interest in book publishing
- Organized and able to prioritize and stay on top of many contacts
- Initiative and business sense: able to create and recommend better processes
- Flexible: can innovate and improvise when necessary
- Goal-oriented, comfortable working in metrics and results-based environment
- Passion for books, writing or publishing
- Experience working with editors, designers, and marketers
- Enjoys talking to a diverse, creative people
- Experience working within a CRM or similar platforms
- Comfortable learning new systems
- Tech savvy
The ideal candidate has recent “in-the-trenches” consultative sales experience but also has enough entrepreneurial or management skill to self-manage and create new systems and tools.
- Opportunity to work from home
- Flexible working hours
- Dental care
- Life insurance
- Vision care
- Extended health care
- Vacation & paid time off
Job Type: Full-time, Permanent
Salary: Competitive Base + Commission
Founded by experienced book publishing professionals, Tellwell (tellwell.ca) exists because we believe most authors want something quite simple: a small, committed team to help publish a quality book. Winner of Douglas Magazine’s 10 to Watch award, a finalist for Viatec’s Startup of the Year, and a recipient of Startup 50: Canada’s Top New Growth Companies, Tellwell is the only indie publishing company that gives authors 100% net royalties and full transparency about the publishing team working on each book. We are currently expanding into Australia, the US and Europe and are seeking editors from these regions, as well as Canada.
We are currently looking to expand our roster of talented and experienced English- and French-language editors, as well as translators. All editors work remotely.
Our pay rates are competitively set on a per-word basis, and our service suite includes:
- Substantive editing
- Copy editing
- Editorial evaluation
- 3+ years of professional editing experience
- Strong working knowledge of Microsoft Word’s track changes feature
- Exemplary communication skills
- Exceptional command of grammar and style
- Confidence editing across a range of genres
- Ability to take on two to four projects a month
- Editing certification or accreditation
- Team mentality
- Familiarity with Adobe Acrobat Reader DC’s markup tools
- Experience working with emerging and/or self-published authors
All jobs are posted to the team through our in-house project management system, to which all our editors have access. You’ll liaise with in-house project managers and the managing editor via email and team-collaboration software Slack, and will have control over which manuscripts you choose to work on; no admin tasks or direct liaison with authors required. The projects vary greatly: from experienced authors to first-timers; from children’s books to poetry to memoir to business; from 1000 words to 200,000+ words. We are looking to work with generalists who have the confidence and expertise to provide sound editorial advice in an approachable, encouraging and constructive manner.
All inquiries and applications should be sent to email@example.com.
Kindly send a note of introduction/expression of interest, along with a current CV.
Illustrations and text work together to tell a great story. Visual art draws the reader in and brings the story to life. Our experienced illustrators have created art across different genres from juvenile to cartoon to sci-fi and fantasy. They listen to the author’s vision, and commit to delivering art that best tells their story.
We work with a team of talented illustrators from Canada, Cebu and around the world.
Join our growing team!
- Incorporates Illustration styles according to the requirements submitted by the customer
- Illustrations created should be in unity with the package & intricacy level requirement
- Performs revision whenever necessary
- Performs colorization to the illustrations
- Prepares low resolution PDFs for author review
- Meets the performance metrics required by the job
- Performs any other duties that may be assigned by Tellwell Management team
- Should be adept at using Adobe Photoshop and Adobe Illustrator
- Have the ability to draw detailed illustrations
- Must be creative and have passion for drawing
- Able to work independently and within a self directed team environment
- Able to meet deadlines
To apply, please outline your interest in the position, a link to your resume/portfolio, and let us know your salary expectations.